Call us today

Students could be entitled to a tax refund as they head back to university

Get in touch today - call Kent on 01634 570 390 or Surrey on 01737 370 493

Book a FREE consultation

If you would like to get some impartial advice, simply book a free consultation and we'll get in touch with you as soon as we can.

Students could be entitled to a tax refund as they head back to university

Students who have been heading back to university in recent weeks could be entitled to a helpful tax refund, according to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

Those who worked through their summer holidays may have been taxed through PAYE, as if they were earning at that level year-round, but it is unlikely that their earnings will have exceeded the personal tax-free annual allowance of £11,500.

Where this is the case, students will need to sign up for an online personal tax account to apply for a refund using a P50 form.

However, if a student also works during term time, they may have earnings which exceed the £11,500 threshold and so will have to pay tax on any amount above this.

In a blogpost advising students to check whether they might be eligible to receive taxed earnings back, the Revenue also reminded students that holiday income will not count towards student loan repayments, so long as they are still studying.

Link: Have you been taxed for your summer job?


Urgent COVID-19 Notice
Working From Home

Our first priority is the health and well-being of our team and our community. Therefore, with a heavy heart we have made the decision to temporarily work from home with immediate effect.

We are listening to the government’s daily updates, taking each day as it comes, and will reopen our offices as soon as it is safe to do so.

If you have any questions or need to discuss any issues at all please do email or call us on our usual number 01634 570 390.

The general email is

We hope everyone is keeping well and staying safe.

This website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience... moregot it